Harnessing Big Data
Improving Data Driven Solutions
A Leader in Data Science
Big Data is changing Texas and the world. Texas State faculty are leading data scientists who have partnered with the National Institutes of Health and Fortune 500 companies. The Harnessing Big Data initiative synergizes ongoing efforts and positions Texas State as an international leader in data science. Watch the video to learn more.
Research in Action
Big Data in Healthcare
Data science uses computer science and math to make sense of the massive amount of data being generated in a field such as healthcare. “Most people or industries make decisions based on expert consensus, but there’s just too much information to manage,” says Dr. Alex De Nadai, assistant professor of psychology.
AI Technology Just Got Smarter
Texas State University researchers Ziliang Zong, associate professor, and Yan Yan, assistant professor in the Department of Computer Science, have received a $500,000 grant from the National Science Foundation to develop more energy-efficient and compact artificial intelligence (AI) technology.
The three-year grant was awarded by the Division of Computer and Network Systems and will fund Zong and Yan's project, "Interpretable Multi-Modal Neural Network Pruning for Edge Devices."
Podcast Join the Conversation
- Provide scholarship funds to recruit students interested in data science
- Provide summer scholarships for undergraduates to work with faculty on data science research projects
- Support student access to boot camp style experiences in data science
- Sponsor a data science showcase or student pitch competition
- Fund graduate student fellowships to collaborate with faculty on data science research
- Name an endowed professorship to support a distinguished faculty in conducting cutting-edge research
- Name an endowed chair to support recruitment of a top scholar to provide leadership in data science instruction and research
- Naming opportunities are available
- Endow the Harnessing Big Data Program Fund to provide flexible resources to implement and sustain this initiative
- Seed and accelerate Big Data projects that focus on health, business, or social science solutions
- Fund a Data Science Innovator Award to recognize innovative applications of data science
- Provide funding for renowned data scientists to speak on campus or serve as visiting scholars